BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: Boondooma Dam QLD, Aust Day Long W/End  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Steve-Bream-Fishing

• Austackle Pro Staff, Austackle Sales Rep for SA
Boondooma Dam QLD, Aust Day Long W/End
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
Bit of a late post  ;D

On the Aust Day long weekend I was lucky enough to fish Boondooma Dam in QLD, thanks to my sponsors Austackle, for a chance at getting my first Bass.

Friday - We arrived about tea time, had a good look around and unpacked all the gear.

Saturday - Up early as the sun rises at 5am  :o QLD doesn't have daylight savings  ::).

What a sight to wake too!!

The dam was a beautiful sight  ;)

Had a visitor on my cabin window

After breakfast we got the boat & gear ready and headed off to the ramp. And of course as we did the rain stated!! not heavy but just enough to be a pain and going full noise across the dam it stings a bit  ;D.

Don & I fished till lunch time for only a few hits in the persistent rain, and who didn't take any wet weather gear..but as soon as the rain stopped you dried off pretty quick and when the sun came out it was very steamy.

Back to camp at lunch time for an Austackle meeting and to view some samples of the new gear to be released soon  ;). Then it was off to the tackle shop at the dam to help put up the new sign.

After that it was back on the water till about tea time. First fish I dropped, still not 100% sure of what it was then not too much longer I got my PB 49 cm Yellowbelly on a new prototype Austackle lure due out soon, Featherlight 2-5kg rod, Cruz 2500 reel, Project B 6lb braid & 6lb leader.

Not long after that we headed in as the sun went down and the night was slowly setting in.

Sunday - Mike from Austackle had a little friendly comp set up for the day so everyone headed down to the ramp and with not a cloud in the sky off we went out on the dam. Don and I had a quiet start to the day and tried many different spots. Don got smoked by a cracking Bass on an Austackle Evil Eye spinner bait around some timber.

After a chat on the water with Mike & Cory (Boondooma Dam c/van park manager), Mike gave me another lure to try as I still didn't have my first Bass.

Don took us to a bank and within about five minutes I had my first Bass  8) and ended up with 4 for the day.

That ended our day on the water as we had to be back by 3pm to submit photos, a shower, tea and sitting around the camp fire with a few drinks.

Monday - Back to the airport and on the plane home.

What a trip and what an experience  ;) a trip I'll never forget. I must thank a few people.

Mike & Linda for your generosity & hospitality
Don for the fishing experience
Ben & Chloe for the lift too & from the airport
John for your exceptional kitchen skills
And all my Austackle team mates  ;)

If you even get the chance get up there and give it a go  ;)

Cheers
Steve.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:20:28 PM by Steve-Bream-Fishing »

Offline BreamAlliance

• Administrator
  • Bream Fishing Australia
Re: Boondooma Dam QLD, Aust Day Long W/End
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
Thanks for the report Steve  sounds like you had a top weekend away at the dam, wished i could of made it up there

Offline Choppers

• Having A go at Breaming
Re: Boondooma Dam QLD, Aust Day Long W/End
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
oh what a place to visit & have a fish paradise, ;)