BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: Lure selection  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Rampage

Lure selection
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
I appoligse in advance if I ask dumb questions. But here I go. Just getting back to something dizzy put forward. There are lures to catch fishermen and there lures to catch fish. What are the things to look for in a lure that you know will catch fish.

Offline marktheraider

• Proudly sponsored by www.diztek.com.au
Re: Lure selection
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
personally i would be chosing a lure that you think matches the hatch in your chosen spot. Colours i think myself are more a personal choice but some colours on certain days have proven to work far better then others. Most of the time the more expensive lures work well but hese days there are plenty of lures in the good price category of $10-$20 mark now, not too many over the $20. I think once you get a selection and work out wat colours and styles work in your area you will see wat works for you.
Dont get too caught out thinkng the most expensive are going to work the best, as its more how u use the lure that is important.
Just try sticking to the style of lure thats getting all the wraps, and you wont be far off the mark.

Offline Rampage

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »
thanks mark appreciate your advise

Offline Housey

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:58:09 AM »
matching the hatch is the main, In WA I use a lot of shad style lures on the blacks, pretty much fits the shape of our baitfish, 48mm lures on avg seems to serve me well..which is around the same size they are..

Some lures just seem to have better actions than others, sometimes you just need to buy one, give it a swim in your local and see if it takes there fancy and move on from there....I wouldn't say a sebile crankster matched anything in a few places i've used it, but in the black gold color and nothing more than a slighty quicker than normal slow roll to get a bit noise out of it, it did some damage..and they cast well..

With colors I try to stick with what looks natural, one of my favourite colors to use currently is the 081 in the pontoon21 crackjack range, has a nice purple shimmer through it a bit like our whitebait do...

Lures that catch fisherman I find are the ones over promoted on forums instantly around there release, read up on tournament results from abt's to your local classics or social comps to find out what really works in your area..

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »

Dont get too caught out thinkng the most expensive are going to work the best, as its more how u use the lure that is important.

Hear Hear  :)

Offline Ginga ninja

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
go down to your local fishing grounds or where you concentrate most of your fishing efforts and try to observe your surroundings. look for structure, weedbeds will often have prawns skipping through and around them, as well as baitfish, so prawn imitations may work well there. open sand flats also can hold prawns and sometimes yabbies, so crustacean type lures and surface may work there. take a note of the size and colour of the bait. on the sunshine coast we have plenty of smaller bait species, and it's rare for bream to eat something quite large around here, although 3" minnows work well. like the others said, match the hatch and the results will speak for themselves  ;D