BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: Gear i have good enough?  (Read 5321 times)

Offline bbgcomputers

Gear i have good enough?
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Lookign at hitting the racks/walls soon around manning point and want to see if the gear that i have will suit?

My main outfit i fish with is a Okuma X-Factor 664SPL 1-3KG with Okuma Flame 30 reel, spooled with 8LB sunline Super PE and 8 or 10lb Leader.

My reserve outfit is a Okuma travel Rod 704 4-8kg. Seems to whippy to be 4-8 but hey thats what they have on it. Matted with okuma avenger 30 reel and 8lb fireline original. Leader is 8-10LB.

May seem abit heavy but i target Flatty aswell.

What are your thoughts?

Offline forsterfisho

• Associated with Cranka lures & Samaki rods.
Re: Gear i have good enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
Hey,

Are you fishing hardbodies or plastics? I find fishing mainly hardbodies, I fish the local walls with as light as 3lb fluro straight through so I think 8-10lb is overkill, even for flathead. I find a happy medium is 4lb braid with a long 4-6lb leader.

I managed a 85cm flathead last year off a wall with 3lb fluro, so you do get lucky
Proudly supported by Cranka Lures

Offline bbgcomputers

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
I fish mostley plastics. i do have a few hardbodys though. sounds like i may have to go lighter. should be fun. I think ill transfer my 8lb to my beach and breakwall landbase rigs. and get something lighter

Offline Ginga ninja

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
I generally fish a bit lighter too. my setup at the moment is a GL2 4-8lb dropshot matched with a 2500 stradic FJ spooled with 5lb power pro and 6lb fluro. my other one is a little heavier, as I bought it with some different uses in mind but still backs up as a great bream setup. It's a Daiwa Sol 3-5kg matched with a 2500 Daiwa Aird, spooled with 8lb stren and 6lb fluro. you can pick up a similar setup for a much cheaper price if you need and it will do the job you want it to.
cheers

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »
The clearer the water the finer the line in my mind.
Sure you can get away with 8-10lb leaders in turbid water or at night, but 4-6lb is what I prefer.
I dont like fishing straight through as I dont feel i have the same level of contact with the lure as I would with braid.

Offline bbgcomputers

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
Can't believe it i changed my gear and havent been able to get out for a single trip yet. Just my luck