BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: Who uses kayaks??  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Windknot

• Fish hard and die happy
Who uses kayaks??
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
It seems to me that kayaks and bream go together like peaches and creame. I also have a Quintrex 370 Explorer that has been fully fitted out for bream fishing, but it's the kayak that gets the most use by far.

I have two yaks, a Mini-X for those snag ridden small estuaries and a Hobie Outback for those times when I need to fish large esturies.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here. Who else here is a yak fisherman?

Mick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rampage

Re: Who uses kayaks??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »
I don't have one mick but I'm amazed how well they fit them out. How stable are they to fish out of

Offline Windknot

• Fish hard and die happy
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
They're very stable, just so long as you stay seated. I've done it for many years and I've never tipped out unintentionally. I have taken a few intentional dips on hot days, mainly to assure myself that I can climb back onboard should I find myself in that situation in an emergency.

They can get a bit unconfortable if you're in them for long periods. My back starts to play up and my bum goes numb after a while. I usually just beach the yak and wander around for a while, then I'm as right as rain.

The thing I like about yaks is that I can launch anywhere. I like the fact that I can chuck it on the roof and travel lightly without the hassle of towing. I also like the fact that I can fish very quietly without scaring skittish bream. The Hobie is great for lure fishing, as the fact that it has peddles, means that you can fish constantly.

Most estuaries are fairly protected and it's usually quite safe to take kayaks into these places, so it's not very dangerous at all. My biggest fear is that I will get run over by some hoon jet skier when I'm at places where they're common.

If you've ever thought about using a yak. I can highly recommend it.

Offline Woodie

• Administrator
  • BreamAlliance.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
Would love to have a yak, some very good places in the manning river i could sneak in to

top posts Windknot  ;)

Offline Rampage

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
I think it would be fun to try,but i don't think I could do all the time though,how do you go if the wind blows up be hard yakka into a head wind

Offline pungas

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »
started getting into yak fishing last summer and love it!! ive got a 375 allycraft but when it comes to fishing the shallows i found the yak to be heaps better and in some cases fishing in only 20cm of water and getting onto some nice fish.
Cant get over the difference the way a bream or flatty fight in 1 foot of water, very exciting fishing thats for sure.. and when i get home its only a 20min hose off the yak and gear and im done.

Offline Ginga ninja

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
yep  :D got my kayak at the beginning of 2011 and love it. it's a viking espri and it's gotten me into some nice places

Offline forsterfisho

• Associated with Cranka lures & Samaki rods.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »
I find Yaks are great for when im trying to quickly come off the plane in my boat, they tend to slow the boat down quite nicely.

Can't really see any other use for them  :P
Proudly supported by Cranka Lures

Offline Rampage

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
Bugger me forsterfisho that's a bit harsh lol

Offline redrocket

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
I use kayaks, generally as speed humps  :-* :-*

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
Bugger me forsterfisho that's a bit harsh lol

Perhaps, but he does have a point.

I cant understand why with such a shallow draft kayakers of all persuasion, not just the fisherman, think its wise to use the middle of a narrow channel to traverse a waterway. Why be near the channel anyway? Surely it is safer to be away from the speeding boats & the rather large wakes sometimes made as we are forced to slow down.

Down here it is not unusual to see 1 -4 yakkers idling along the middle of the major shipping channel.  :o

Offline brim it on

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
you guys have got to be kidding, ive been looking into buying a kayak for some time now and cant get over the way you think you have more right to the waterway than the next bloke!!
I hope you grow up before someone gets injured if not killed from your stupidity  ::)
think BIG!!

Offline forsterfisho

• Associated with Cranka lures & Samaki rods.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, hes on!

I wish fish bit as easy as yakkers.

Its all tounge in cheek mate, well from my side anyway. Good luck to ya's in the your little boats. But, respect goes both ways  :D
Proudly supported by Cranka Lures

Offline yutryn

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
I started kayak fishing 4 or so years ago with a hobie outback I loved it and it went every where with me
Even out to the shelf to chase some yellow fin and no I didn't peddle all that way got a lift out in a mates boat
Then I decided to get into the kayak bream and bass comps and did a few in the outback but then the pro angler was released and I saw people standing and sight casting from them so I had to have one and sold the outback

Then after a VERY wet comp at ballina in the pa and catching no fish after a 9hr drive I had the shots and decided to sell it (unlike me to give up but ballina is my nemesis and this day was the worst day on the water in my life!)

Hence I now have the hornet trophy which I'm about to put up for sale as I want bigger and much faster bream boat ;)

Cheers
Dan

Offline ifish1208

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
Hi wind knot
I have a Hobie Pro Angler and have it for many years. Compete in SSBS and ABT Bream comps and love the storage and be able to stand up and sight cast. I was getting some food at a servo the other day before a comp when a pro bream boat pulled up for fuel. I noticed he filled up the car and boat and come to $300. The only fuel I used got was a Sausage roll and Mother energy drink this cost me $5 lol. That is why I use a kayak.