BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: Bream biting, Sawtell, NSW  (Read 2857 times)

Offline samkelly

• Luv catching Bream
Bream biting, Sawtell, NSW
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »
Sawtell lookout, at rock swimming pool, incoming tide.
Caught a feed this morning, plenty of white water, fish in the gutter beside rocks at your feet.
Bait as always FRESH, which means unfrozen fresh mullet fillets from Woolies.
Soft plastics and hard body lures did not work.
Sam

Offline samkelly

• Luv catching Bream
Re: Bream biting, Sawtell, NSW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
Still plenty of Bream in the Sawtell area. Good catches this week end with 1kg fish at night on the beach and half kg in the mornings at the Sawtell rock swimming pool. Good sized Tarwine mixed in.

Sam

Offline Choppers

• Having A go at Breaming
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
on lures of bait sam?

Offline samkelly

• Luv catching Bream
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »
In that particular spot bait out performs lures. They don't hit lures(with me anyway), if there is any sort of bite its like a toad fish having a hit, they suck, run and play with the bait. Bait being mullet, fresh, bought from Woolies.

I have caught bream on lures in the Bellinger and Kalang rivers on Austackle lures. There are times when they just don't work, I suppose its a bit like whether i want cold chook out of my fridge for lunch or a gut full of Kentucky Fried.

The Bream are hugging the rock wall in a deep channel, no more than 2 meters wide, and it's the only place they are. I fish off the rock swimming pool which juts out enough to be in line with channel. Weather the tide is coming in or out does not matter, the channel is always running out to sea at always changing speed.

It's all about placement when casting, you need at least a 12ft rod(light blackfish) and just enough lead to sink the bait. You hold your rod and reel like a new born baby, like a feather, let it move around with your line. I bought my first rod and began learning the catch process 45 years ago.

Bait moves with swell and waves(white water is a must) but always ends up in the channel. A serge in water running out to sea along the wall will lift the bait off the bottom. I can feel them hold the bait, put pressure on, not a bite, its then a matter of deciding how much line is free spooled off the Alvey before you feel the fast run, just lay back on the rod, no wild jerking to set the hook, If I dont hook them they never come back to the same bait, it's reel in and bait up again.

2 Jew were landed in the same channel(closer to open sea) on the week end, one at 3pm in the arvo, went 35kg, virtually dead when landed, on a home made lure with white feathers attached to I don't know what, the fisher person was not showing it, but said that's all he does, chase Jew.

Sam