BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: Who uses kayaks??  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Windknot

• Fish hard and die happy
Re: Who uses kayaks??
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
There's a bit of animosity that goes both ways between boat operators and kayakers. There will always be idiots on both sides. I've been in situations when kayak fishing, where hoon boat operators have actually passed me several times at very high speed, leaving a gap of only 2 or 3 metres. What made it worse, I was fighting a large fish at the time. And no, I was nowhere near any channel or thoroughfare at the time. There are completed losers on all walks of life, unfortunately.

I currently own and operate a power boat and I have done so for many years. I always try to show respect and courtesy to all the people I might come across when on the water.

I mostly use my kayaks in places where there are few or no power boats at all. Some of my local waterways prohibit the use of power boats and in other areas, I tend to find out of the way places where the distinct advantages of a kayak can be best utilised.

I really like kayaks. They're great to simply throw on the roof and off you go, type situations. You can launch them anywhere and there's no queing at ramps. There are extremely cheap to operate. I can head off on a family vacation with the yak on the roof and you don't even know it's there, until you want to use it.

Offline peter58

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »
     Well said mate I like the way you think , I did have  a tinny once but it costs money every time I had it out ,I got sick of that so I sold it and got a kayak  and I love it , Its the best .

Offline Choppers

• Having A go at Breaming
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
I am telling you Yak all the way< but i still love to get out in the boat once a month if i have time.

forster this time was not so good to me  at my local yesterday & today a the hobie  :-[

Offline Team Water Rats

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
G'Day!
Yet another yaker here, and proud of it :)
As has been said, there are tossers on both sides of the picture, but I try to stick to locations away from all the hectic action of powerboats, especially during events held on the Basin.

I have 3 yaks and all have their purpose from skinny water Basing through to outside in the Big Blue.

They are great for fishing waters that the boats just can't get to and this leads to some pretty Specky catch and releases.

My main yak is a Hobie PA14 and stand up sight fishing is a breeze in it, no stability hassles what so ever.

Just as a side note: If you would like to test ride a Hobie and live in the Nowra region, head down to the display at Grey's Boat ramp from 10am in the morning.
You will have to contact Peddle Paddle Sail Sth Nowra to book a vessel for trial though ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]