BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: I hate Winter bream fishing  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

I hate Winter bream fishing
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Winter in my home state is a frustrating time for anyone who is addicted to bream fishing. Finding fish is not usually the problem in some areas where in others they can be as scarce as rocking horse poo! The thing that makes them so frustrating for me at this time is the fact that they just wont eat!

One system I know of will be full of bream from juvenile to full blown bucks, but no mater what you throw at them or on what tackle, getting hits is as good as futile. Is it any wonder then, that with some changing fortunes in the weather I was keen to see if a once prolific producer of 40+cm fish was firing yet. I was still a little early based on last years results, but I was desperate.

I made my way up as far as possible and was encouraged early when I spied some fish, but none were takers & I didn’t see another fish after that. I began working my way downstream, casting under the overhangs & banks in the hope of finding some feeding fish but the Khamsin never got touched. I was flabbergasted! So much so that on a couple of occasions I had to physically go into the snags to double check if there were any fish in there. Nope, no one home! Perhaps I was still early and the fish were still up past the tree line, the water level suggested that this might be the case. Unfortunately, I couldn’t hang around to wait n see. I’d promised I’d be done by a certain time & that time was fast running out.

Making my way back down, I stopped at some previously untried snags that looked the goods, but again these were barren so I continued on my way. In desperation, I tried one last likely spot less than 100m from where the boat would be  pulled out. It’s a pontoon that would normally see some traffic, but is currently inaccessible due to repairs. I switched the Khamsin for a Zipbaits SPM55. The SPM is stickbait measuring 55mm long, a little longer & narrower than the Raphael. Where it also differs from the Raphael is that it does not have a flutter, but more a slight tail down attitude as it sinks.

I cast the SPM, to all corners of that pontoon, both up tide & down for zip. As I had caught a smallish fish from this pontoon once before fishing the lure on a slight drop off, I decided that my next cast would be put there. “TICK”……$@*& I say as I was away in never never land. I hop the lure & wait, nothing! I wind in and start to feel weight. I drive the hooks home and the T-Spec loads up. It’s a bream alright judging from the headshakes & dogged fight. There is no drag from the reel however I begin to suspect a small fish. I was right, almost, it was indeed small, but in admiring & photographing it, I begin to think this might actually be a legal. I pull out the measure and sure enough it just stretches past the 29cm mark. Not by much mind you, perhaps only 3mm, but it was a legal regardless. Try as I might I could not repeat the scenario and despite seeing fleeting flashes of silver indicating the bream were there & feeding, I left them be and called it a day.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vxcalais

Re: I hate Winter bream fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
Nice report ! Sounds like my last couple of outings. Only a couple 33cm Bream in last month or more. But it makes it worth it when you do catch the odd one after a hard days work. I find Summer easy to see heaps of fish, up near the top in large schools = Spooky/Hard to Catch..................Winter time, down low and not sure if they're even around,meant to be bigger/fatter = Hard to Catch. Well done again !

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Thank VXc.
Thankfully, Spring is being counted down in weeks now instead of months!
Here too, is hoping that this Spring / Summer season is better than our last. Don't get me wrong we still caught plenty of great fish, but nothing like we should have.

Offline samkelly

• Luv catching Bream
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
The thing that makes them so frustrating for me at this time is the fact that they just wont eat!
I have the same problem, but I have observed over the years that they will be eating somewhere near by.

It took me 3 days and 15 coastal kilometers last month to find hungry bream. A 2 hour session had 6 bream neatly packed in a 9 litre bucket. Fresh human eatable mullet from Wollies as bait.

They move all over the place, even in a harbor or marina, eat sometimes only for half an hour at a certain time of the day or tide, or will happily chomp away for hours. BIGGEST TRICK is smallest hook, lightest line, little or NO lead, only enough bait that can be swallowed in one mouthful. And let them run, it can take 2 or 3 decent runs before they are hookable(hookable? is that a word :-\ )

Sam