SAS Braid.
BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: SAS Braid.  (Read 3843 times)

Offline redrocket

• View Profile
SAS Braid.
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
"I finally had a chance to give my S.A.S braid a good workout.
I was lucky enough to win a spool of 6lb so here are my pros and cons.
Pros.... Firstly it's super thin, very supple, ties good knots and lays on the spool well. I like the white colour to.
Cons.... Where I was fishing the water was super clear, because of this I like to use long leaders of 4-6 meters, so this means that when I cast the leader knot is on the spool. I found with the sas 6lb this caused me major problems. I had quite a few wind knots and a couple of massive catastrophes which required a cut off and a retie.
With the others braids I use I have never had this problem. I use a kaneit knot which is super slim and as I said has not given me trouble in the past.
I'm not 100% sure why this was happening but I suspect that due to the braid being so thin the knot was getting caught in it as it was coming off the spool.
However when casting with the knot off the spool it cast well although u would have assumed that it would cast much better that thicker lines but I felt it was pretty much the same distance wise as the other braids I use.
Overall I think it's a quality line at a great price but for the way I fish the 6lb is just to thin. I think I might get a spool of 10 or 12 and give that a go.
I would love to hear what u guys think of it.
Cheers"

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

• View Profile
Re: SAS Braid.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
Really appreciate your honest response Red. Sounds like one I'll shortlist for next time.

Offline yutryn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
Hi red rocket

Firstly thank you for an honest appraisal

This is the first I have heard of any trouble like this I will try and figure out why this has happened to you
I do not know of the knot you are using and we have tested hundreds of knots
On this knot issue I'm about to do a tutorial on YouTube about which knots are best for this braid I use a fg knot which is similar to the pr knot I use between 5-10m of fluorocarbon and never have a knot/wind knot

I will do some testing if I can find out how to tie the kaneit knot and get back to you about this

As I have mentioned we tested this braid ourselves for 4years and with hundreds of knots and there is only 1 knot that caused problems through the guides with long leaders and that was a double uni

Will get back to you soon about this

Cheers
Dan

Offline redrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
No worries Dan.
The kaneit knot is a variation of the slim beauty and has a very slim profile.
I tie the FG for heavy lines but not on the bream gear, a bit too fiddly for my liking.
Overall the braid was great, as I said very supple and besides the problems with the knot on the spool it was a pleasure to use.

Offline yutryn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »
Hey mate

Just getting back to you about this

I have been trying to replicate the problems you had I've been out 4 times in different conditions and have found I problem that caused me to get the results you had rampage.

The knot is fine haven't had a prob with that, what I did find which is strange to me as I use long leaders and my leader always goes onto my spool is that if I didn't bring the line back in under tension from a lure or a fish that the line would sit loosely on my spool and next cast I would get a few loops coming off the spool at once and wrapping around a guide causing wind knots and guide wraps, BUT once I realized why it was happening if I was bringing in a lure with little to no resistance I would just put tension on the line above the reel when winding it back to the spool. This stopped the problem so I tried doing it with no resistance and it happened again.

This is the only way I could get it to do this so could this be a possible cause?

Cheers
Dan

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Gotta hand it to you Dan. Not sure there'd be quite the same level of customer support from the suppliers / manufacturers.  :)

Offline yutryn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
Thank you
I just hope that was the problem I'm leaving 1 rod set up like that to see if I encounter any other problems

And it's just as good for us to hear the problems that someone is having so we can sort them out wether that is we go back and improve the product or maybe teach them another knot to use that we have tested and know works

Cheers
Dan

Offline redrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »
Hey dan, as PP said that is awesome customer support, u dont find service like that these days. 8)
I used it again last week, this time I vibed with it and although it didnt get a lot of work ( I had 6 outfits in the boat) it performed great.
The week before I was using it to throw HB's so that may account for the lose line?? or the other possibility is that the reel was over full and the last blow out I had removed just enough line ??
Im off to merimbulla and coota in a few days so I will be sure to give it a good work out up there and report back with my results.