The fishing to date hadnt been worth writing about at all, until today
BreamAlliance! Bream Fishing Australia

Author Topic: The fishing to date hadnt been worth writing about at all, until today  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Piscatorial Pursuit

• View Profile
Fisrtly appologies for the crap picture, but the others show a little too much for a public forum, especially with a comp in a handful of weeks. Appologies also for being MIA, but the fishing to date hasnt been worth writing about at all.

No sooner had the Dory touched down then the forecast & threatened rain began to make its presence felt. We had been watching its progress since breakfast on the BOM radar and had hoped against hope that it path would miss our location but our prayers, hopes & expectations were dashed when we received a call to say that it had set in just 30min up the road. Well we were here, the tides were good and the cloud cover an expected bonus. We’d just have to toughen up and bare it.
It was a long run from the launch site today, the plan being to work the structure as the tide slowly drew us out. We drew a blank early on and decided to hasten our exit somewhat to some better looking water.

Capt. Barnacles, so named because of his knack at finding fish, was first to let fly at a likely looking drain but in his haste got caught up in the structure giving me a clean slate to work with. However, I say out of sympathy, my cast was wayward also. There was nothing left to do but go in after them. To our disappointment a number of XOS bream were seen scurrying away as we neared the structure & our lures. Since we hadn’t seen any fish to this point it did give us some confidence.

Things went quiet again with little return for many casts made and our confidence again waned. I had my back to the Capt. when it came, that unmistakable sound of braid moving across the runners under extreme pressure and increased speed. The Capt. is usually a reserved fellow and where I usually let out a “yes” on a successful hook up, he just goes about the business. I turned to see his rod with a good working curve and what appeared to be a solid fish attached. Measuring around 37cm it was a good start and again the confidence built. We were beginning to think also that as this fish came from an area not to dissimilar from the area we spooked fish earlier, that a pattern was emerging that we should be able to capitalise on.

With our new found knowledge and renewed enthusiasm we continued to work the structure but we again struggled to trouble the scorers and we had now become a little puzzled by the fact that the tide seemed to already turned some 3 or more hours before scheduled and long before its reported height. Theories ran wild and if anyone can shed some light on why a big run out would stop mid flow and begin a slow flood, I’d love to hear from them.

Soon my turn would come. It was the third cast into the drain and I allowed the Khamsin to sit after a couple of good rips. The pauses seem like eons, but in reality are probably only 5 seconds or so. I gave a little twitch before giving another rip & BANG! The T-spec loaded up and the violent head shakes suggested a good fish. I had it to the boat quickly, but just as quickly it bolted for the bottom again. 8lb Sunline yielding almost effortlessly from the Heartlands spool. I called for the net, but repeatedly the fish would surge to be just out of reach. Finally however it tired sufficiently for it to led into the waiting net and both Barnacles & I knew that this was what we were after. This was the 40cm fish that we search for and love and once out of the net & onto the stick stretched out to 41.5cm. I was over the moon. It had been quite some time between drinks & this was my first 40 for the year.
Again things went quiet and with time moving on we decided to crank up the horses & make a long run for some proven water.

Pulling up well short of our mark the leccie was deployed and we moved in stealthfully. Barnacles called for the right post signalling me to take the left. The cast was well left of the post and I feared snagging up as the line was drawn closer to the post. As the lure drew near it was stopped dead & I thought I’d snagged it as feared, but the rod tip signalled some serious head shakes and the heartland again yielded some line. Luckily I got the fishes head early and kept it coming. It was another beauty but would only stretch out to 38cm. We peppered the area and its surrounds for a half hearted nudge for the Capt. But little else.

We decided that with around an hour to stumps we’d motor on down to a flat that usually produces the goods for us. The size of the fish here would mean little or no chance of any more 40’s but we hoped for a few in the mid to high 30’s to help improve what had to this point been a wet and tiresome day. Due to the disrupted ebb, the flat still had a lot of water over it and our casts went unmolested. Capt. Let fly with a plastic almost in the middle of nowhere and was soon connected boating a low 30’s fish. This signalled the start of a hectic session were fish after fish in the mid to high 30’s hit the deck. All of them caught by the Capt. He boated a quick 6 or 7 in the last 30min or so of the day in an area that you normally wouldn’t have bothered with.

Soon the timer was wailing signalling the end of our day. As I began the clean up for the run home I heard the Capt. say "just one more cast" followed soon after by the "Augh" of a missed strike. The horses were then kicked into life, some obligatory pictures taken & the journey for home started.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:51:57 PM by Piscatorial Pursuit »

Offline Choppers

• Having A go at Breaming
    • View Profile
Nice report  Piscatorial  & a boat load of nice size bream

Offline bbgcomputers

• View Profile
What size dory do you have? i was looking at a new boat soon. whats the stability like at rest.
Thanks

• View Profile
Glad you liked it Chopper.
BBG, I have a 420. Its a great "little" boat and I'm glad that I upgraded to it a couple of years ago. Its not as stable as say a proline or similar type hull, but its broad beam assists greatly. Fishing two up front is difficult if not impossibe unless you are fishing a lefty with a righty, but it works fine for us. Its light enough to push across shallow flats and draws bugger all water. The ride, in my opinion, is better than a V-nose and drier.
Its these attributes that have me questioning the sanity in relieving myself of it for something a tad bigger. Been looking at a 460 Renagade or similar sized top ender with all the fruit. Mostly for the bigger decks and wider hips, but also with the view to taking outside occassionally.
Thing is they are also twice the weight!  :o

Offline bbgcomputers

• View Profile
I only asked as i am looking at the same. maybe 460 dory or renegade. i like fishing the river but i would like to venture outside sometimes

• View Profile
I think it comes down to how much use & where.
The renegade will, in my view, provide the better ride and stability, but at the cost of extra draught. If skinny water access is not required where you fish & the budget extends that far, it would be my pick for sure. In my case, where its not uncommon for me to be getting wet & pushing the rig over the occassional sand bar, I fear the extra weight is its death nell

Offline Choppers

• Having A go at Breaming
    • View Profile
Re: The fishing to date hadnt been worth writing about at all, until today
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »
where have ya been Piscatorial Pursuit I miss reading your reports does anybody know if he still gets on here????